Peggy Pico of KPBS interviews Fairewinds Associates’ chief engineer Arnie Gundersen about Fairewinds’ latest report commissioned by Friends of the Earth. Fairewinds reviewed NRC data and leaked documents from Edison that show that the tube wear and failure at San Onofre is worse than all other U.S. nuclear plants combined.
San Onofre: Bad Vibrations
Arnie Gundersen demonstrates what has happened inside the replacement steam generators at the site of the San Onofre nuclear generating station in San Diego, California. Arnie shows that steam generator tube vibrations have caused extensive damage due to design changes between the original and replacement generator tubes. For transcript, visit Fairewinds’ website.
Steam Generator Problems – Summary and Chart
- Steam generator tubes plugged chart and San Onofre steam generator problems
- Steam generator tubes plugged by AGE and San Onofre steam generator problems
- Steam generator tubes plugged chart
- Steam generator problems summary
- Steam generator tubes plugged by AGE chart (.pdf)
- Steam generator tubes plugged by AGE chart (.jpg)
Steam Generator Reports by Fairewinds Associates
- 7/11/2012 San Onofre’s Steam Generators: Significantly Worse than all Others Nationwide
- 5/14/2012 San Onofre’s Steam Generator Failures Could Have Been Prevente [Bad Vibrations]
See more reports about San Onofre at Fairewinds Associates website.