Please attend today’s California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) public participation hearing regarding San Onofre nuclear power plant. The CPUC does not appear to understand the urgency of the situation and has a long drawn out process that seems to care more about protecting Southern California Edison’s profits than protecting the public and ratepayers.
Your presence will send a strong message to the Commission and California’s elected officials and state regulators. Please attend even if you can only attend part of the meeting.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission plans to rule as early as April on Edison’s proposal to restart the defective Unit 2 nuclear reactor. The CPUC can prevent this using the cost and reliability authority they have. However, they are currently not willing to take the necessary action to do so.Time: 2 pm to 5 pm and 6 pm to 9 pm (press conference at 1:15 pm outside the Costa Mesa Community Center) Location: Costa Mesa Community Center, 1845 Park Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Bring this List of urgent demands to the CPUC meeting and make copies to share with others. If the CPUC continues to ignore us, we need to take these demands to the Governor and state elected officials as well as ask our local officials to represent our interest in these critical matters.
List of Demands
- The CPUC should immediately refund and stop forcing ratepayers to pay billions of dollars for Edison’s mistakes and stop all future ratepayer funding of San Onofre.
- It’s time to take Governor Brown’s goal of clean renewable energy and energy efficiency seriously. We can accelerate the effort and make California the world’s clean energy leader by eliminating the money pit of California nuclear power.
- Any cost benefit analysis of whether to restart San Onofre must include the economic impact of a major disaster at San Onofre.
- San Onofre should be decommissioned.
- CPUC should prevent Edison from spreading misinformation.
Written comments may be submitted to the CPUC Public Advisor’s Office, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to proceeding number I.12-10-013 on any written or email correspondence. All public comments received are provided to the CPUC’s Commissioners and the Administrative Law Judge assigned to the case.
The CPUC did not webcast either audio or video of this meeting. We should insist this never happen again!CPUC Media Advisory on 2/21/2013 San Onofre meeting I1210013 – San Onofre Proceeding Details