The California Fish and Game Commission will hold a public meeting Monday, September 24th, 2012, at 10:00 am in Sacramento to address PG&E’s proposed high-energy seismic surveys. These surveys will maim and kill large numbers of whales, dolphins, seals, sea lions, otters, and other marine life with high sonic sounds, according to the Environmental Impact Report.
Similar seismic surveys are planned for San Onofre in November 2012 by Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San DiegoMeeting Location: Resources Building, First Floor Auditorium 1416 Ninth Street, Sacramento, CA Agenda: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2012/092412agd.pdf
Tell Fish and Game Commissioners the surveys are unnecessary and harmful.
- USGS says no scientist can predict the size of an earthquake and both California nuclear plants already sit near major earthquake faults. USGS Pasadena seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones said in a recent interview:
“The information about how big an earthquake’s going to be may not be in the earth’s crust BEFORE the earthquake begins.”
- California has 40% excess power without California’s nuclear power plants. See details here.
- According to independent journalist Dave Gurney on noyonews.net:
Each of these underwater blasts will be at the volume level of a shock wave, that will instantly deafen, maim and possibly kill everything unfortunate enough to be in its path. A 240 dB blast is reportedly like being one foot away from the mouth of a large cannon. For a human, your ears, or what’s left of your ears, would probably never stop ringing. The consequences of experiencing this level of sound can only be presumed to be immediate and permanent deafness – if not worse. For sea life, beyond just broken eardrums, the transfer of low-frequency shock waves from water-air-water causes hemorrhaging of lungs and air-sacks, and will result in the death of marine mammals – whales, dolphins, seals, sea lions and otters – and fish.
- According to Stop the Diablo Canyon Seismic Testing:
“… seismic testing is a threat not only to whales, but to all of us, because it allows PG&E to delay removal of the nuclear plant from the earthquake fault.”
Seismic studies are scheduled to start in November 2012.
Please ask California state representatives to help ensure approval is denied for these unnecessary studies.
- Stop the Diablo Canyon Seismic Testing (Facebook).
- SanLuisObispo.com seismic survey articles
- Final Environmental Impact Report (State Lands Commission)
- Earthquake Risks – SanOnofreSafety.org
- Boom, Baby, Boom: The Environmental Impacts of Seismic Surveys www.nrdc.org
- Pierce Brosnan: Don’t Let the Belugas Go Silent (video on seismic survey impact)
- Impacts of Seismic Surveys on Marine Mammals and Fish – AMCC
- PG&E’s Seismic Information
- Live marine traffic (www.marinetraffic.com) (search for vessel “Pacific Star”)
- CAL-SPAN.ORG – web streaming of California State meetings
- CA Coastal Commission 9/14/2012 – Diablo Canyon and San Onofre seismic surveys (video discussion starts at minute 21)
- Noyo News summary of 9/14/2012 Coastal Commission seismic surveys discussion
- Offshore seismic surveys may impair hearing and cause ear damage in marine fish and mammals FOE Norway 4/2007