- Analysis of 12/18/2012 NRC meeting (KPBS.org): Hear from former CPUC staff person, Martha Sullivan, and former California Energy Commissioner, John Geesman.
- Video of 12/18/2012 NRC meeting: NRC’s review of Southern California Edison’s response to the Confirmatory Action Letter for San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, Unit 2.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff will hold a public meeting in Maryland to review Southern California Edison’s October 3,2012, response to the NRC’s March 27,2012, Confirmatory Action Letter and Return to Service report for San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, Unit 2.
Local community groups requested the meeting be held in the area most impacted by San Onofre. Those requests were denied.DATE: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 TIME: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. PST (1 :00 p.m. -4:00 p.m. EST ) LOCATION: U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission One White Flint North Commissioners’ Hearing Room 11555 Rockville Pike Rockville, Maryland 20852
This is a Category 1 Meeting. The public is invited to participate in this meeting and will have one or more opportunities to communicate with the NRC after the business portion, but before the meeting is adjourned. Proprietary information may be discussed at certain times during the meeting. These portions of the meeting will be closed to members of the public who have not been granted access to the information by the owner of the information.
Participants from the NRC include staff members from the Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation (NRR) and the Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research (RES).
Interested members of the public can participate in this meeting via Webcast link or toll-free audio teleconference.
- Webcast link: http://video.nrc.gov. This link to the NRC webcast page will permit the user to select the meeting to be viewed and the viewing speed. The meeting link will become active approximately one hour prior to meeting start.
- Teleconference bridge number: 888-677-3916; passcode 47860. [approximately 400 caller maximum]. Callers will initially be placed in a “listen only” status. At the designated point in the agenda, two-way calling will be enabled, so that the public may ask questions of the NRC staff regarding the meeting discussions.
Given that the seating capacity of the meeting facility is limited, participation via webcast is encouraged. Individuals interested in attending the meeting in person are requested to send an email to one of the meeting contacts listed below.Randy Hall, NRR email@example.com 301-415-4032 Brian Benney, NRR firstname.lastname@example.org 301-415-2767 NRC Official Meeting Notice and Agenda 12/18/2012 NRC meeting slides 12/18/2012 Edison meeting slides NRC Public Meeting Feedback Form NRC draft request to Edison for additional information 11/30/2012 NRC draft request to Edison for additional information 12/10/2012
The NRC has a website dedicated to the San Onofre steam generator issues. It includes relevant documents and a milestone schedule. The following schedule is subject to change, so check the NRC San Onofre Steam Generator Tube Degradation website for the latest milestone schedule.
Expected Date: Milestone
- Dec 3 – 7, 2012: CAL onsite inspection (Unit 2)(additional inspection activities may be needed)
- Dec 18, 2012: Category 1 public meeting at NRC headquarters to discuss ongoing technical review/RAIs. (additional working level meetings may be needed)
- mid-Feb 2013: Category 1 public meeting in Southern California with licensee on status of CAL inspection & technical evaluation. Possible inspection exit if inspection activities are complete.
- late Feb-early Mar 2013: Technical evaluation and Unit 2 CAL inspection report complete and publicly available.
- March 2013: Notify ASLB and parties of intent to issue decision regarding restart for Unit 2
- 5-30 days after notification to ASLB and parties: Issue decision regarding restart for Unit 2.